Monday, June 6, 2011

Creative Find!

Last weekend, I decided to pull out my Gramma Judy’s old, unfoldable, table-sewing machine I inherited this year. Thus far, it’s been used for blanket storage, clothes dryer, nightstand, DVD stand and is somewhat of an eyesore. But, last weekend I had a hankering to de-clutter my room and start sewing again. I’ve sewed various little things, a pillow here, hemmed some pants there, but I haven’t done a serious project since 2005 when I made my own prom dress. I started it three days before prom and my pattern consisted of me, tracing my body frame on a bed sheet I put on the ground. The dress was unique and cute but by the end of the night, threads were coming out and I could have literally pulled it in two pieces. Live and learn.

My good friend Caprice is having a baby shower for her unborn baby in a couple weeks and I want to make her something that she will use whether the baby comes out a boy or girl. We don’t know yet. So I decided on bibs. Mind Process: All babies eat. All babies spit up. All babies need multiple bibs and I can sew. Bingo.

I started looking for bib patterns online that I could print out and trace. (Even though I knew I could make my own bib pattern, obviously by my history of pattern making, I still needed to do some online research.) I came across this darling website called PurlSoHo.com. It’s a creative sewing, stitching, painting, crocheting, blog with tons of projects that seem to only need moderate creative skill. The bags, and clutches and simple holiday ideas are perfect for children and nieces and nephews if you don’t or can’t spend a ton on a present for them. Make a cute tote bag and fill it with little things. Skip the big toy gift they will never use. Or make a coin purse for gramma- I bet she will use it forever. Like my mother says, “It’s all about the packaging.”

Look here for ideas on how to make dinner napkins, baby gear, hats, aprons, wall art and much, much more! thepurlbee.com

No comments:

Post a Comment